"Like" our Facebook page
See our Newsletter December 2018
Eight New Inscriptions to the Documentary Heritage Register
The UNESCO Memory of the World New Zealand Trust has announced eight new inscriptions to its documentary heritage register.
The eight are: Kerikeri Mission Te Reo Slates (nominated by Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga (HNZPT) and Nga Uri O Hongi), Marti Friedlander Archive (Auckland Art Gallery), Journals and Papers of Reverend Charles Baker (Auckland War Memorial Museum), Lovelock, John Edward (Jack), 1910-1949: Papers (Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington), Cambodian women in New Zealand oral history project, 1993 (Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington), Armson Collins Architectural Drawing Collection (University of Canterbury), Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa New Zealand Deaconess Collection (Presbyterian Research Centre, Dunedin), James Herries Beattie: Papers (1848-1972) (Hocken Collections, University of Otago, Dunedin).
The Memory of the World New Zealand Trust Chair Bruce Ralston said, “This year we have inscriptions from the Bay of Islands to Otago. It is extremely pleasing the message about the relevance and importance of documentary heritage has reached so widely". Read more here
Advantages of inscription on the New Zealand/Aotearoa MOW Register include:
- Ensuring that our history and our stories are not forgotten
- Highlighting the significance of the information /knowledge contained in collections
- Recognition by an independent organisation (UNESCO)
- Public recognition of the importance of documentary heritage
- Publicity and promotion for your institution
- To be part of an international network of the most important documentary heritage in the world
- Increased possibility of attracting resources (to care for, preserve and promote the collection)
- Raised awareness of the work done by custodians of documentary heritage
The criteria for inscription and the process for submission (including a nomination form) can be found under the “Nomination” tab above. If you are uncertain whether your documentary heritage meets the criteria or have any questions please email "firstname.lastname@example.org" and a member of the Committee will contact you.